Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Deconstructing Church Part 8 "After Leaving"

 


Deconstructing Church Part 8   After Leaving
-rory moore



In previous parts to this series, I pointed out the dilemma of the formal Institutional church structure that masquerades as the one Christ built and is found in the Book of Acts where the disciples became what Jesus called “my church”. Mat. 16:18

Leaving was not fun or easy, it was like a woman giving birth. Pangs, labor, pain, and even post-partum depression.

But truth is we left a building with a man-made organization, system, and structure, we did not leave our faith, love for God, or love for people.

Yes, we missed the songs, the fellowship, our friends, and the food.

There may have been some feeble attempts from them to call you back, there may have been some dire threats “YOU ARE GOING TO HELL!”, and there was a likely a LOT of misunderstanding of your reasons.
You were likely shunned by many you thought were your friends, even ones you were close to for many years. Some of you were abused, manipulated, and dominated by “leaders”.

Then you were a fish out of water trying to decide and praying for what to do next…. -a significant part of your life is now a great empty hole. What is next? What are your choices?

-find another assembly and church shop?
 Many do that. Those that God is leading may realize the others are just doing the same old thing in another building or denomination. 

You go anyway and something is not right in your spirit.

-you stay home, restless, read the Bible, pray, but there is that post-partum sense of missing the organized church that no longer works for you.

You second guess yourself? “Did we make a mistake?” “Should we apologize and go back?” “Maybe we can work it out with them?

We went through all that and more.

We found out the Lord was not in a hurry, but we had to adjust to the newness of what might be called a “wilderness”, and “outside the camp”.  

What we did not know was although we left the building, so much of what we had thought and believed was truth intertwined with error, and there was a LOT of error we were not even aware of. In scripture language, we were "leavened" bread.

We did not know what we did not know.
But God knows.  And now we really had to trust HIM. 

And THAT was our new beginning.

The Lord is my shepherd <i.e. "pastor"> ; I shall not lack.

2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.

3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.

4 Yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil;
for You are with me;  Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

I hope those words took on a new meaning and depth for you.

If you have not read this series, each piece is short. 

Part 1 of "Deconstructing Church is HERE:

No comments:

Post a Comment